Monday, February 8, 2010

3/4 Skull

Here is a skull I did over the weekend, drawn from a photograph. I think it is pretty sweet. For the pencil drawings I do these days, I start with a 4H lead in a drafting mechanical pencil to get the general geometric shape and proportions, then I really try to hone in on the contours with an H lead and do a little rendering too. Once I have some quick hatching to get the direction I want my contours to go in, I use an HB mechanical pencil to add some character to the outlines and render the darker shadows. Finally, I take a trusty old 2B wood pencil and fill in the darkest spots. I could go even darker, say 4B all the way to 8B, but I usually try to be conservative with anything softer than H, because at that point you start to get progressively more smudging. Just my current tastes...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, and I should mention that since I took this picture in a room with poor lighting, I had to throw it in PS and adjust the levels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look really good Pizawl :O! Your technique is so detailed and thoughtful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! It's loose, but not messy. :D

    ReplyDelete